Hello 2021!

Hello again everyone!

I am so glad to be back in Kindergarten. I missed all of the students so much.  Last week they were with our building substitute, Mrs. Ketchum. She was so impressed with their behavior, and they were great helpers to her. I am so proud!

This week we are jumping right back into the nitty gritty! We had our DIBELS assessments this week. Everyone has been making great progress! We are currently learning the differences between vowels and consonants, and the difference between a long vowel and a short vowel. This week we worked on the letter Aa, and differentiating between the short and the long sounds it makes! We have been practicing isolating every sound in a word, and picking out a sound that is either in the middle or at the end of a word. For their homework this week, they have to learn the word ‘little’ which we will be adding to our Word Wall. Please be sure to practice their flashcards that I sent home as well!

Last week with Mrs. Ketchum, Kindergarten did a class book report on the book The Water Princess by Susan Verdie. This story is about supermodel Georgie Badiel’s childhood, and her dreams of bringing clean drinking water to her African village.

In Math, we have started learning how to break apart numbers. This is the foundation for adding and subtraction, breaking apart numbers into two groups in different combinations. This week we focused on breaking about numbers 2-7, and next week we will do more numbers. Then we will start doing some addition! This is one of my favorite things to teach in Math, and I’m so excited to see Kindergarten catch on to these concepts! Once they get the hang of it, they truly blossom. This is also quite easy to practice at home!

In Science this week and last, Kindergarten learned about the differences between different kinds of animals — starting with mammals! We read a story about squirrels this week, and we talked about how we know they are mammals because of their fur, their legs, their ears, and the fact that they have babies!  The story, The Secret Life of Squirrels, is fictional. But the author took real pictures of squirrels, which the students got a big kick out of. Then we did an activity afterwards in which we made an obstacle course to complete, and reviewed positional words like ‘around, under, next to’ etc. Students had so much fun! I’ll send a video of them completing the course in an email.

In Religion this week, we read the book I Am Perfectly Designed by Karamo Brown and his son Jason “Rachel” Brown. The story is like a conversation between the father and son, and the father is letting his son know that he was born perfect, just the way he is! We had a conversation about how we are all made perfect the way we are, in God’s image. We also went around and said one thing that we like about ourselves. Some notable comments were, “I like that I’m talented!” and “I like that I’m intelligent!” These positive affirmations are important to build self-confidence, even at a young age. Afterwards we designed our own parts of a flower which will be used for a collaborative art piece this week. We noted that everyone’s flowers are unique and different, but they are all beautiful in their own way. Just like us!

In Social Studies this week we learned about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We read the book below, and watched some videos about his life!

We also listened to this story written by his son and what is was like for him growing up.

Throughout the rest of the year in Social Studies we will continue to talk about famous historical figures and the past, present, and future.

Students have also been practicing controlling their voices during class time. Please remind them how important it is to remember there is a time and a place for everything!

Have a wonderful long weekend!

Love,

Ms. V 🙂