Weeks of 10/18 and 10/25

Hello!

I hope you all have been enjoying all the Halloween festivities this long weekend. Here is a recap of the past two weeks in Kindergarten!

In Reading we have really been diving into doing our letter sounds. We wrapped up the alphabet and then began it all over, this time around focusing on the sounds the letters make and what words start with those letters. We worked on letters Pp, Nn, Cc, Bb, Rr, and Dd. We have been making charts with a list of words that have that letter in the beginning. We also have been working in our reading books to also practice writing these letters and words.

We also have been working on more sight words and finding them independently. In their Flexible Instruction packet they received a list of sight words to practice at home. I will be sending out some more words as the year goes on.

Math puzzles have been a regular practice to practice number recognition and sequencing.

We have still been reviewing numbers 0-10, on how to write them correctly.

We recently started learning about tally marks, and we did a tally mark scavenger hunt where students had to find the Halloween pictures in the classroom and count the tally marks. They loved the challenge of having to search for the answer independently.

On Thursday students had a full day of Halloween fun! In the morning we watched a Halloween movie and ate popcorn, and then after lunch students change into their costumes before going on their trunk-or-treat. All the students did a wonderful job walking nicely outside and using their manners. Afterwards, students enjoyed emptying all of the guts and seeds out of some pumpkins. Students worked together in teams to separate the seeds from the pumpkin guts. It was a fun sensory activity for the students, and it was hilarious to see the way they reacted to and described the feeling of the pumpkins’ insides.
We talked about what the seeds are used for other than growing more pumpkins. One group of students got really lucky and their pumpkin had several sprouts growing inside of it. All of the other students were fascinated to see what grew from the seeds. Also I would like to give a special thank you to Ms. Keica, Gregory Marshall’s mom, for coming in to help Miss Kelly and I supervise!
Looking forward to this week, students got sent home with a flexible instruction day packet of work to complete on their own. Students have until Friday to finish their packets in order to be considered present for Tuesday, November 2. If the pack is not turned in by Friday they will be considered absent for that day. I will be available on Tuesday from 9 to 12 AM via email, and if needed I can be available on zoom, to help with any questions or concerns about the work in the packet.
I will also be sending out an email this week about signing up for parent -teacher conferences. I can’t believe we are already at that point in the year!
Let me know if you have any questions about anything at all. I look forward to talking to you all soon.
Love,
Ms. V 🙂